Friday, May 03, 2013

first time making salsa

As a picky childhood eater. I've found I won't let myself cook or grocery shop for certain ingredients that I avoided detested, when I was little.

Two of these ingredients have been: fresh tomatoes and raw onions

ew.

But as my palette has matured. And my desire to become the worlds greatest, stay at home mom/chef (hahaha!) has overcome me...

...I realized I'm never going to gain that fantastic title by avoiding these very popular fruit/vegetables in my cooking.

And one day it occurred to me. I like salsa, nay...I LOVE salsa. Salsa contains tomatoes (hopefully fresh) and onions (raw). Why can I eat this concoction of deliciousness, but not said items in whole? I do not know. Perhaps it's all in my mind *queue spooky music*

First step to overcoming my tomato/onion fears. And graduate myself to "even more amazing SAHM/ Chef" MAKE. SALSA.

DONE!!! 

I did it. Not only was it surprisingly easy and took less then five minutes to throw into my food processor. But it's super tasty!

My ingredients:
4-5 extremely ripe looking roma tomatoes
Half of a yellow onion
2 small garlic cloves
1 jalapeno pepper poorly seeded (so a few seeds got in, hee, hee)
A giant handful of cilantro
one lime squeezed by hand...with juice running down my fingers and my hands and all over my counter :)
some salt (maybe a teaspoon?)
cumin (maybe a teaspoon and half...or two)
about a tablespoon of raw honey

Blend in food processor to desired blend-ed-ness.

poor in a pretty bowl.

Devour with authentic looking tortilla chips that you can buy in the hispanic aisle at walmart. hahaha!

Result: button bursting pride at my accomplishment. Bragging blog post. Fear of "cooking" with tomatoes and onions...conquered!!! *big band music playing*

Oh, and it's really tasty too!!



No comments: