Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My secret sister/friend

Today marks the last MOPS meeting for the Spring. We break for the summer and will start up again in the Fall. I was on the Steering team and part of the perks of being on Steering was we each were given a fellow steering member as our "secret sister". Each MOPS week (twice a month) we were given some kind of theme to follow in giving a present to our secret sister.

I got everything from hot pink capri leggings, to a crazy, awesome mix cd. A mug with m&m's, toe rings, "organic" Trader Joes chocolate bar, a salad spinner, family recipes, coffee gift card, edible body butter, a crazy picture poem...and then today..today my secret friend "reveled" herself to me. She said to me "Missi, when I bought this gift I thought you needed something more spiritual, something deeper. I thought of John the Baptist and think...I think you need to be more like him". Then she handed me a small box. I opened it joking she was giving me milk and honey...a near by MOPS mom said "hey, maybe it's crickets". As I opened it, I realized with horror...it WAS crickets! CRICKETS! Salt and vinegar flavored crickets! Slowly I became surrounded by other MOPS moms coming to see what I had, as my dear friend Crystal began chanting "eating one! Eat one! I wanna see you eat one!"

Now, there pretty much isn't anything I won't try once. But "Food" that is really an insect or bug...not gonna happen. Right? Wrong. The peer pressure and Crystals hopeful, expectant eyes got the better of me. I'm here today to share with the blogging world that I ate a cricket. A nasty, salty, horrible, cricket.

I love you Crystal and I think I do feel a bit more holy now. Or at least empathize with John the Baptist. hee, hee

4 comments:

Kristen said...

You are one brave girl. LOL

SES said...

I love salt and vinegar! chips, that is =)

Missi said...

Jonathan says I'm ready for reality tv now:)
there is this funky store in our mall that sells the crickets, they also come in "bacon/cheddar" flavor. lol!

Anonymous said...

Brave indeed! lmao! I <3 fb...