Monday, December 18, 2006

Little kids at church

I teach the 2 & 3yr old class at my church every week. Over the past couple months I've gone from being able to hold three tiny tots on my lap, to now...hardly even one. The little kids don't seem to understand why they can't all fit on my lap at one time, and often they will make every effort to push my baby belly back into my stomach so they can lean back and be comfortable while I read stories out loud.

Well, this past Sunday, something clicked in their tiny heads and for the first time they seemed to understand that I have a baby inside my stomach and that's why I'm so fat. With their limited vocabulary and curious faces they started asking questions as they gently patted my tummy as they all wanted to say "hi" to the baby.

cute blonde boy "that's a baby?"
cute blonde girl "my mom had a baby in her belly"
cute brown haired boy "I don't see it?"
cute blonde boy "can we see it?"
cute blonde girl "yeah! lets see it" she starts to lift my shirt
Missi "no, you can't see it yet, the babies inside my stomach and is still growing, I'll bring the baby to show you all when he's big enough to come out of my tummy"

During snack time all the kids were quietly munching on their crackers when cute blonde boy decided my baby should have a snack too.

Cute blonde boy:"Missi! feed your baby!"

all the kids turned to look at me as I picked up a cracker and started eating

cute blonde boy: "No! feed your baby!!"
I started laughing as I tried to explain to these 2 and 3 year olds that by me eating the food the baby gets to eat too. I think they were all waiting for me to stick the cracker in my belly button or something.

They all got excited when they could actually see the baby kick from inside of me, and found it very exciting to try and push on my belly to make the baby "dance" agian.

Needless to say it was a very interesting class on sunday. Our bible story was about Mary having baby Jesus...I told the kids that Mary looked a lot like me and they all thought that was very funny:)

5 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

rolf, I would love to have heard the conversations with parents in cars on the way home..."what did you learn in Sunday School today?"

"Mary looked like Missi and her baby ate a cracker...mom, how is her baby going to come out? How did it get in?!"

lol...gotta love kids.

Rachelle said...

That is hilarious! I had a January baby too and I remember that Christmas thinking a lot about how it would be to travel by donkey. I'm pretty grateful that has never been required of me, especially at 9 months!-rlr

Kristen said...

So cute!

Missi said...

I didnt' think about the conversation with the kids and their parents! Ah! lol

I am glad I don't have to ride on a donkey either!

Anonymous said...

I smile a lot these days... But this brought even more and bigger smiles to my face! Thanks for sharing!