Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Our Trip to Dallas, TX

Last Wednesday Jade and I prepared to leave to go visit our good friend , Jenny, in Dallas , TX. Since Papa Bear was out in D.C. taking over the world, Jade and I decided to arrive over two hours early to our flight...to make sure we didn't miss it.

To our dismay, but not discouragement, our flight was then delayed an hour. So we got lunch. Once on the plane we sat on the runway for an hour until being told there was something wrong with the plane. So we came back to the gate. At the gate, we sat for an hour while they tried to see if they could fix it for us. Needless to say our connecting flight would be missed. This was very discouraging. Sitting on a non-moving plane for two hours after sitting in an airport for over three...with a small baby, is tough stuff.

We got off the plane and were told to go to another with the same destination. However, that flight was nearly booked full...so Jade and I didn't get a seat. Options: they could send us to Chicago and we could stay over night there and get a flight sometime in the morning to Dallas, we could go to Baltimore and do the same thing, Denver and do the same thing...or we could take a red eye at 11:40am and make it into Dallas at 5am. "We'll take that!" I said. The optimist that I am.

By 6pm Jade was asleep in her stroller and I was walking up and down the airport trying to pass the time. At 10p.m. the voice on the loudspeaker told all passagers leaving on the 11:40pm flight to go the ticket counter. I ran to the ticket counter praying that we were leaving early and they just wanted to make sure we were all cool with that. Nope. Delayed. What was I thinking? So I did what any sensible mom with an overly tired baby and a simple destination would do. I started crying. lol! So, they rebooked us, same time, different airline. Thank the LORD! Jade slept and I prayed my body wouldn't move so as not to wake her. We arrived in Dallas at 5am. Nice. I was beat.

To make things even more glorious they had all my bags but no baby seat. And since I switched airlines there were all these stupid requirements that meant the airline that lost my bags couldn't help me. The airline that never touched or saw my bag is who I had to file a claim report with and wouldn't you know, they had no extra baby seats I could borrow. So I went back and yelled at the airline who lost my baby seat and with the help of a sad baby, a sad mom, and a very tired friend...they finally agreed to break the rules.
This is a pic of me and Jade after a long day at the airport, a red eye flight, and two extra hours at the destination airport fighting to get a baby seat. Fun stuff:)

After a few hours of sleep we all left to go visit Jenny's school to see where she goes and let her have a quick meeting. Then it was off to get pampered. Pedicures all around. Well, Jade didn't get one, but she sat on my lap and enjoyed watching them give one to mommy. After a long day and night on my feet I really needed that pedicure!

I didn't take lots of pics of all the fun things we did, but here is Jade and her new best friend.
Jenny has three doggies at her house. Jade LOVED it! She laughed and laughed at them and let them lick her face and hands.
In the mornings their old cat CIB (cat in black) would wonder in and Jade would forget about breakfast to play with CIB.

Jenny and Jade, new best friends.
Here we all are at the comedy club where a group called "Four day weekend" performed. SO funny!
We shopped, played, watched movies, ate out, ate in, went to church, played some more. All the while having a fabulous time. But all good things must come to an end. I was nervous when Monday morning rolled around and we had to get back on a plane, what drama would we have this time?

I am happy to report: None whatsoever! Here is Jade happy as a clam playing at the airport playground. She is quite the driver in a non-moving car...and proud of it.

Goodbye Jenny, see you next time!

6 comments:

Amy K said...

That truly sounds like the airplane journey from Hell!! You are such a brave and strong mother and you should be very proud of yourself. I would have been crying LONG before you did. I think Jade is probably at the worst baby age to travel. But it sounds like she did so good given the circumstances!

Anonymous said...

Aww! Sounds like you had a great plane ride! And a great trip.
-Li

Nic Ridley said...

Looks like so much fun - but that plane ride was just awful!

Kristen said...

You poor girl! I'm sorry about the airport mess, but so glad you had a good time once you were there!

I think Jade needs a puppy...

Michelle said...

would that friend happen to be Jenny Ludakie? I know i probably butchered her last name...

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

That sounds like the most horrid plane ride ever. I hope I never experience such travel "excitement" especially by myself! Anyhow, you were just right down the road from us at DFW! Wah! We'd have loved to see you...maybe next time? Or maybe we'll just revisit Seattle area (we went there for our honeymoon and loved it!)Hope all is well with y'all!