Monday, May 19, 2008

Just a little bit of drama

Jade and I got restless around 1pm this afternoon. Most of our chores were done and the weather forecast says we are gonna get rain all the rest of this week. This being the last "no rain" day until Saturday we decided to take full advantage.

We loaded ourselves onto my bike and away we went. We had a tentative destination of the local Animal Shelter a couple miles away but we weren't sure until we got trekking that we would stop there.

We did. It was so much fun. Jade loved petting all the doggies and letting them lick her face and hands. We spent an considerable amount of time there before heading over to see JB at work. On the way my bike handle bars were seeming a bit shaky , but I wasn't to concerned.

We got cold water at Daddies work, then after a short break we headed home. It didn't take long, however, for me to realize my handle bars were really lose, the more we road the looser they became. With only a few miles left to get home I prayed and hoped the handle bars wouldn't fall off. But we weren't that lucky. *WOOSH* I felt my hands slip down rapidly and I frantically pulled the break and used my legs to help stop the bike and keep Jade from falling out. The handle bars were useless, I couldn't use them to steer or anything. They would just slip from one side to the other. I felt SO stupid. We walked a short ways till we came across a bike store. Thank heavens. Jade and I walked in, I was a bit embarrassed but grateful a bike shop was so close at hand.

One of the guys came out and tightened up the handle bars and put a few things in place that I had installed wrong. He then talked me through a quick lesson on how to install my tires and bike seat, handle bars, etc. He was really nice and said "no charge" when he was done. I felt guilty so I told him I was planning on buying a cool bag to hang on my bike to hold my keys and such, but just hadn't gotten around to it. So he took me inside and we found the perfect one to fit my needs.

Riding home went really fast now that my bars were on correctly and everything had been tightened and fitted properly. Amazing how much a difference it made. I now have a cool bag and a nice bit of drama to share with my hubby tonight. Praise the Lord Jade and I didn't get hurt and that bike shop workers are so helpful and friendly:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i† is a good thing you guys didn't fall!
-Li

SES said...

glad you're both safe! Might I suggest, if you have the same problem with the car, don't wait 'till the steering wheel actually falls off... =)