Saturday, December 06, 2008

How I make Zeppola's

A family tradition around the holidays (growing up) was to make yummy zeppolas. Zeppolas are basically a type of deep fried, hearty donut that you can either make sweet and fill with creams, jelly's and sugars, or you can go the opposite route and fill it with saltier things such as anchovies and or various types of cheese.
Growing up, we only made these filled with mozzarella cheese. So that's the way I like them.
Yesterday, since we were having guests (and it's the holidays) I decided to make some. And, since I am a bit of a dork, I decided to take pictures of each step as I went a long.

First, you make a fairly basic bread dough, only, add a few tablespoons of sugar so the dough is just a tiny bit sweet (not to sweet, unless you are wanting a sweet donut). Place the dough in a well oiled bowl to rise for an hour, free of drafts.
While the dough is rising you can work on making other things or go polish your nails or something (hee, hee). Before you are ready to punch the dough down, go ahead and cut up your cheese or filler of choice.
I picked motzeralla cheese, of course.
Then I checked my dough to make sure it had risen properly and was ready to be rolled into balls.
It's ready!
Jade heard me say the food was ready and thought she'd turn on the oven (which I don't need). But instead just turned the oven light on and said "ready!". lol
Take a chunk of the dough and flatten in out a bit so you can stuff a hunk of cheese in the center. Then roll it up into a ball.
After you finish all your dough, or cheese, or amount of rolls you wish to make. Let them rise again for about 30min-1hr.
Then, fill your pot or deep frier with oil and turn up to around 300-350 degrees. Once the oil is hot, plop your dough balls in the oil until lightly browned. Turn at least once.
Place the cooked zeppolas in a paper toweled bowl or plate (to help obsorbe any excess oil), allow to cool a little bit and...Enjoy!
Tada! And there ladies and gentleman is my cooking "How To" for the day.

Update: Hey Janice, is this for you:) I have a bosch that I mix the bread up in and that makes it super easy!! The basic bread dough I make is:
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons shortening (or oil)
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoons salt
3-3.5 cups flour

combine your yeast and warm water and let stand for about 5 min. Then add your sugar, shortening, egg, salt and half of your flour, beat at low or till mixed all together.
Then gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Awesome post! Thanks, Missi! I had so much fun on Friday--let's do it again soon. :)

Janice Phillips said...

Wow, I am seriously impressed! I love the pics and the step by step dialog. Do you read the Pioneer Woman cooking blog? if not you have GOT to check it out...SO many good ideas. Can't wait to try your recipe. Could you post your dough recipe or just e-mail me? And do you use a bread machine to do the dough?

Sarah: said...

Your hair cut looks cute!

AmateurAuteur said...

i love zeppola's. :) wanna make movies with me when you visit?

Missi said...

hee, hee...yes mom I do "cheat" but by trust me, this is super easy and just as good...just not as healthy;)