Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cannoli's

Saturday we were invited to a friends home for an Italian themed dinner. Our hostess was making home-made ravioli's, along with delicious salad, asparagus and steak. Yum! I offered to bring an Italian dessert and decided to do cannoli's.

I tried three different recipes for the pastry, before finding one that I liked. It was so simple, just:
Flour
Salt
Sugar
dry red wine

After I made the pastry I mixed up the filling. Which was just heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and ricotta cheese.

Then I fried up the cannoli pastries and after they cooled I filled them with the creamy mixture. Upon completing that step I then dipped both ends in melted chocolate and rolled them in crushed pistachio nuts.

I'm very proud of myself for trying something new and I'm looking forward to trying the recipe again and perfecting it (my pastries were still a bit heavy).
This isn't a fabulous picture of the cannoli's, since I took it the next day, after they had been sitting in the fridge for awhile...but still. You can see what they looked like:)

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

The cannolis were amazing! You should enter them in a recipe contest.

I can tell I have a long ways to go with making pasta but my kids think it is great so I'll be getting their help.-rlr

Anonymous said...

Those look really tasty!
Li

Amy K said...

That's great! I love cannolis-those look so yummy.