Monday, October 26, 2009

I hate the library

Perhaps you think "hate" is to strong a word to use against something so wonderful to most of mankind. But when I looked up the meaning of the word hate it said: "to feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility"
And then I thought "nope, not to strong a word"

Grrr. I just got back from the library and I'm once again extremely frustrated, irritated and feeling very hostile. It's like those cranky librarians can spot the unseasoned "library goer" and therefore, I must not be good enough to step foot in their book filled facility. So do they help me. No. They pity me. Look at me with confused expressions, patronizingly ask me question like "did it say the book was checked in?". No, I'm not only non-frequenter of the library, I'm also a complete fool. Grrr.

Today's experience took me from one librarian to the "youth librarian reseacher" to some older librarian stacking books. No one ever followed through with their assistance and in the end the list of "recommendations" handed to me on the yellow and black flyer turned up with ZERO books in stock.

I HATE the library. I find nothing, get horrible assistance and in the end justify my reasons for rarely going to the library. I really must fix this issue I have with the library so my child doesn't grow up disliking it as much as I do.

Once again I will send my husband to the library with my list of needs. My husband has magical powers at the library. Not only can he find the books on my list, he also is able to return with others I never even thought of that I want/need, AND he normally returns in just as good a mood...if not better...then when he left. I on the other hand will continue hating the library until the day I finally am able to figure out the wacky system and meet a nice librarian helper.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Yep. Online ordering....I find book recommendations in anthologies or online and then reserve them on line. They are pulled for me and I go in, pull them off the shelf where they were pulled and grouped for me (alphabetized so I can find mine by my name) and check them out on the computer. I never deal with librarians anymore. (And my husband taught me how to use the library too.:) )

Kristen said...

Oh, I'm sorry, Missi. I love the library--I act like I own the place though. :) I do the online ordering, too. Much easier.

Sarah: said...

I don't like the library because they say I have an overdue book that I turned in! And their new fees, yikes :-)