Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Voting

Today is voting day. I've filled out my ballot and will drop it off this morning. I like voting, I feel so American when I vote, but gosh...why do I also always feel so stupid. Half of what I'm voting on I am totally clueless about. I really ought to spend more time researching the issues before voting day arrives.

I'm in such a happy mood today! I wish it were a Christmas shopping day, I'd love to go Christmas shopping. Or caroling, caroling would be fun! I went Caroling once. It was during a snow storm back in Michigan. I nearly killed myself, and those in my car, trying to drive down the street getting from one singing destination to another. It was so much fun, I went with a group of people who really could sing, parts and all. I sang at the top of my lungs with no worries, knowing the beautiful voices around me would cover up any mistakes I was sure to make. The snow was so bad that night I wasn't able to make it all the way home. Happily, I was able to stop off at my grandparents house to safely sleep away the night. "over the river and through the woods, to Grandmothers house we go".

The other day I was thinking about being a mom and how odd that sounded to me. It brought me back to my childhood in Texas and all the silly, wonderful things my Mother use to do for and with us kids. One memory that stuck out was a sunny, summer day when Mom granted each of us kids a $1. I don't remember why we each got a $1, maybe we did extra chores or something. At any rate, we were given a $1 and told that we were allowed to spend it at the local Exxon station down the road. That was so exciting! I bought gum, I always bought gum when allowed to buy candy. Gum lasted the longest after all. That was a great day, we weren't allowed to have candy that often and mom never had cash on her person. I remember being very surprised about that. Mom was so cool, something always surprising and random and different happened in our home. Still does I guess. I miss my family:(

Anyway, back to voting. Ballots remind me of state tests, tiny ovals you must fill in with a dark pen (or #2 pencil back when I took tests in school). It's kind of fun in that regard I guess.

Gosh I'm hungry, I think I'll got get a snack. Lata!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered if people that voted new everything about who they were voting for or not, lol, have a nice snack!
-Li

Amy K said...

Good for you for voting! At lot of SAHMs don't vote because of the inconvenience and I think that's sad. The world needs our opinion too!! :)

Also, I hope you don't mind but I tagged you for a meme. I usually don't do these. I was trying to think of who might do it and thought, "Oh, maybe Missi." Thanks!