Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A little bit of drama

Earlier this afternoon I put Jade down for her nap. She didn't want to go down for a nap, but I "knew" she was tired and put her down anyway. She cried for about 2 min and then everything became quiet. I assumed she had gone to sleep...but then when I heard her calling my name 20min later I wondered if she was just quietly playing in her room.

I was downstairs when I heard her little calls.
"mommy, mommy, I up! Help, peese" she said
"Jadey, you wanna get up?" (from the bottom of the stairs I replied)
"Ah huh!" she says.
"Okay, you can get up"

As I said this I began slowly, very slowly, climbing the stairs. By the time I got to her closed door Jade was next to it fiddling with the handle on the otherside. I reached out to open the door and to my horror realized...the door was LOCKED!

"Oh no" I said. "Jade, honey, did you lock the door?"
"Open door, peese!" she replied
"Oh dear, you have to unlock the door. Can you turn the nob?"
"It hard"
"You can do it, honey, turn the button, can you do that for mommy?"

This turned into a very long conversation that soon resulted in very strong tears on Jade's part. She began crying, yelling, begging me to open her door and let her out. 15min later I still couldn't pick the lock. I called Daddy
*ring, ring*
no answer. Drat.

More crying, screaming. At one point she calmed down and started offering other reasons why I should open the door such as
"mommy, door, I potty. Peese!" and "no, nap. All gone."

I felt so awful. Sadly, my lock picking skills did not increase with time. Below is a picture of all the tools I tried. Can you see the bobby pins stuck in the door nob? I did get a hold of Daddy, as he was leaving work.
Finally JB got home to save the day. He took off his sport coat and calmly started talking to poor little Jade, trying to get her to unlock the door. Same results as me.
The key hole was mutilated by now by all the tools I had tried to use to get the door open. Without skipping a beat he grabbed one of the screw drivers and took the molding that surrounded the door, then taking the screw driver to the latch, was able to get the door free.

Our hero! Jade was perched on her bed, with her night light being the only thing illuminating her dark room (it was about 5:30 by this time). She seemed fine, just sad. No doubt she probably thought we were keeping her prisoner in there on purpose. Poor thing.

As soon as she was safe and sound, JB took the door nob apart and turned it around so the locking part was facing the outside of the door. No more drama like this for me!

Here is little Jadey after the rescue.
And on a side note, here is Jade with her new kitchen set that some friends gave to us. The only thing better then recycled toys are...FREE recycled toys:) hee, hee.

10 comments:

GJ and Vicka said...

Poor Jade got traped in her own room:(

Sarah: said...

Scarry! Did she get a new bed? It looks soooo darn cute! The added benefit to turning the lock around is it works great when they won't stay in their room for time out! :-)

-Sarah

Dee Dee said...

Smart Daddy! Took care of that.
Unless... Jade gets on the outside & locks you in....

Nic Ridley said...

Jonathan sure was the hero!! So cute! I think it's hilarious that Jade made excuses for why you should open the door! lol!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! How long was she trapped?
Li

Kristen said...

Oh my! That is so sad! She was telling you the reasons to let her out...oh...:(

I have to remind myself, "She won't remember this" all the time with Alyssa. :) Same goes for Jadey-Poo.

Missi said...

Hey Li, she was only trapped for about 45min, but it seemed like forever.

Cristy said...

Oh no! Poor thing!! I'd have been crying too!!!! However, I love her kitchen. I need a free one, too! =) Maybe Caitlyn will have to come play with hers.

Strong and Happy said...

Oh my gosh! I hadn't even heard this story! Poor Jade and poor mommy!

Unknown said...

Missi, Peggy told me about this little incident this weekend. I felt so bad for both of you. Consider getting a closet door handle from Lowes or Home Depot. They're inexpensive and don't lock on either side and are very easy to install.