Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kale


I often think of myself as a pretty healthy person, I feel I cook fairly healthy and I think I eat fairly balanced. However, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to trying new vegetables. I don't say I'm to picky until I start going down the list of vegetables I won't eat: squash, mushrooms, eggplant, onions, etc.. Every now and then I get inspired by a new recipe and find myself sampling something new. But outside of that one recipe I'm clueless how to cook this new vegetable.

A few months back I was craving Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana and found a copy cat recipe for it online. The recipe I found called for "Kale". I had never cooked with Kale before and was unfamiliar with it's taste and texture. In the soup I found it to be DELICIOUS! I've since made the soup a handful of times, buying the large head of Kale sold at the store. However, outside of this recipe I don't know what to do with my Kale, and sadly my kale has gone bad before I've had time to finish the whole thing.

Right now I'm reading "The Jungle Effect" and I'm all inspired to go back to my roots (er...at least back to how Mom mom cooked when I was growing up) and start cooking and eating more healthfully.
Under the diet recipes recommended for Crete, Greece, I found an omelet recipe that called for...Kale!! I was so thrilled. I now have TWO recipes to cook with kale and both of them are FABULOUS!

I was thrilled to find I had all of these ingredients in my fridge this morning without needing to go to the market. If you want a super yummy omelet recipe that includes yummy kale...try this one!

Horta Omelet:
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped kale (or swiss chard or spinach)
2 Tablespoons crumbled feta
3 or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons, kalamata olives, chopped
1 lemon wedge

saute garlic in olive oil until garlic is soft (not brown) add greens and stir till soft. Evenly distribute the greens on the bottom and then sprinkle with the feta, add eggs. Cook to your liking then top with olives and tiny bit of salt. After you serve squeeze a bit of lemon (really brings out the flavor) and enjoy with whole wheat toast or whatever you have. SO good!

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Perfect timing. I had kale in my CSA box; dinner tonight. :)

Amanda in NC said...

Kale is also super in 'green' smoothies: combine yogurt, frozen berries, water/milk/juice, kale or spinach or whatever, and blend it up!