Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Hollyhock

I have a very sad and pathetic flower garden. It is a sad, truthful fact. And while I know and readily admit this...there is a part of me that hopes that some day, some how, my sad little garden will turn into something wonderful and beautiful some day. The trouble is, gardening requires time, money and...plants.


My biggest trouble has been when I enter a flower store I am completely overwhelmed by all the choices of flowers. I have no idea what to get! There are to many!! I know you are suppose to plan out the layout and design of your garden before you start randomly purchasing items. However, that takes up so much time and energy, I'd rather just go to the store, become overwhelmed and come home with an odd assortment of plants...that I will most likely kill in three days.
All this being said, one of my random purchases during one of these overwhelming trips, was a very small hollyhock plant. When I bought it, I got it cause it reminded me of my sister (her favorite, I think). I wanted a hollyhock, but I didn't want a whole bunch (cause they are mucho money) and I figured...I'd probably kill it like my other plants. Well, surprise, surprise, this little puppy (randomly placed in my garden) seems to love life despite my lack of attention to it. It is now nearly as tall as Jonathan and today...it flowered!!!! I was so excited, I had to take a picture!

My gardening skills my be slim to none...but I grew a hollyhock plant and it looks lovely!!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I saw, just buy what you love, figure out how to take care of it and hope for the best.

Then again, I've been known to kill cacti.

I like your flower. :)

Kristen said...

I meant to say, "I say" not I saw, but whatever. :)

Janice Phillips said...

B-E-A-utiful! I killed my pretty pink flowers...guess I can't get a pet until I master that, right? Nice job, MB.

Nic Ridley said...

I LOVE hollyhocks! Ours just finished blooming, so it is nice to see a fresh one! Keep up the good work!

Rachelle said...

I think your gardening is very skilled. I am afraid to plant anything in a planter and were it not for my friend A. Cox and the flowering plant I got at church on Mother's Day, I would have nothing. So I'm impressed! -rlr