Sunday, November 08, 2009

Math and Reading

A little while back I bought Jade a few "School" supplies. The first thing I got (well, after a preschool activity book at Wal-mart) was The Bob books level 1 readers. From time to time I pull out those books and Jade and I read them together. She pretty much has the first book memorized and is now working on the second.

Another fun "School" tool I bought were Cuisenaire Rods mostly all we do with them is play and match up colors or find colors to match up with a longer rod, etc. Last night, however, I came upstairs and found that Dad and Jade were making super cool designs with the rods, doing counting and colors. Here Jade is pointing to each rod and telling me which color it is.
And here she is posing for the camera. My little, shy daughter:)

It's so much fun to watch Jade learn and have fun with it. I love being able to just do "School" at our own pace and not stress about it much since she isn't "school age" yet. Soon we'll start official preschool/kindergarten and actually create a routine. But for now. We just have lots of fun.

On a reading note. I'm trying to find a child book on the first Thanksgiving. I went to a few bookstores in the last month or so and haven't really found anything I liked. I did google a few online today and put two on hold at the library (thank you, all of you who told me to put books on hold FIRST before going to the library). However, if you have a favorite children's Thanksgiving book you wish to share with me...I'd love to hear what it is! Thanks!

3 comments:

Sarah M. said...

Ooh! I used to love Cuisenaire Rods! Where'd you find them.

Missi said...

I got them on Timberdoodle!

Cristy said...

Fun!
On the book note, have you tried the church library? I usually grab a book or video around holiday themes.