Sunday, November 29, 2009

Project

Sometime last week I decided I needed to have an Advent Calendar of some kind to do with Jade this year. She is old enough to start making these special memories and I realized it would be really fun for Jade and I to do every day in December. I went online and googled "Advent Calendar ideas" where I was given a million options. I was most inspired to try this one who got there idea from Martha Stewart kids.

After two different trips to Michaels I was finally able to gather enough mini paper mache boxes to start my project.
First I painted all the boxes (with two coats of a paint and one coat of sealant)
I wasn't really sure what to do about the numbers. The blog I was inspired by did some really cool stuff with their numbers, but I'm sure she also spent a pretty penny on all those little extras. I'm not quite ready to invest so much in my crafts since I don't craft often.
I went down to my local "A Little Bit of Heaven" scrap booking store and found some chipboard numbers already done. However, after getting home and beginning to paint the numbers, I realized I was short about 9 number 1's and 1 number 3. I went back to the scrapbook store and told the ladies my problem. Kindly one gal went in the back of the store and did 9 die cuts of the number 1 for me and 1 of the number 3. She did all those for just $1! Saved me from spending a lot extra. I LOVE that scrapbook store now!
Anyway, I finished painting all of the numbers and then I just used elmers glue to put them on the boxes.
My "design" on the wall isn't quite what I hoped, but I just wanted to stick all the boxes up with the wall puddy I found to see if the boxes will actually hold and not fall off the wall every time someone walks by. If these hold over night I'll try to make a pretty design for the wall.
Jade is SUPER excited about her "counting boxes". I've already bought some tiny nativity ornaments to put in half the boxes and I'll probably buy little candies or special verses or something for Jade to open up each day leading to Christmas.

There you go, my first attempt at doing something cool for Advent:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a super cute idea! Can I ask you how much the boxes were at Michaels? :)

Missi said...

the boxes were .99 each, except the three big ones, they were $1.99.
The paint cost about $1 a bottle and the little sponge paint brushes were .39. Then the chipboard letters cost me about $6 :)

Amy K said...

Very cute idea. Jade will have so much fun opening a box each day. This reminds me I need to get ours out tonight!