Friday, January 05, 2007

Taking a Walk outside

For the past couple days...weeks...I have found it to be either to cold or way to windy/rainy to take a walk outside. This being the case I have tried to make up for the lack of being able to walk outside by walking in place in my living room while watching very interesting shows on tv. Shows like "Babies: Special Delivery" and "Top Chef"...you know...all the best ones. Sometimes I even am able to schedule my indoor walking time around the same time as "That 70's show" which is always amusing.

Well, yesterday, the sun decided to peak out and actually stay out for most of the whole day. Not only that, but it wasn't very cold or all that windy. I took the opportunity to go for a nice brisk stroll.

Now, most of you have seen the picture of me and how big my baby belly has become. If any of you have ever been pregnant of seen a pregnant women in her 9th month you know what I mean when I say I don't really walk any more...I waddle. For some odd reason, its not just myself that finds my waddling to be amusing. I got more stares and yells from cars passing by then I ever think I did when I was a normal sized, non-waddling girl. *sigh*

I was starting to wonder if walking outside was worth it with all the staring, and found myself crossing streets or turning corners just to avoid running into another walker or passer by for fear of the belly comments.

As I rounded the corner to my house I saw my neighbor outside smoking his cigeratte and looking about as bored as an old man can look on a beautiful day. Part of me wanted to just walk inside and not talk with my neighbor friend. He was a nice old man, but I wasnt' sure if I wanted to get caught up in one of his long conversations or hear about the time his wife got pregnant with twins and how "BIG" she got...again. But, trying to be Christian I didn't ignore his wave and walked up to say "hello". During the course of our conversation I found out some things about him that I never knew, about his morals and religious standing. I also learned just how bitter he was at his upstairs neighbors (he lives in a duplex) and their rude behavior to him.

It occured to me while we were talking that maybe God had Jonathan and I living where we do for more reasons then it just being a great location for his work and our church. But that sometimes God can use where you live and who you live by to reach out to people in your area or neighborhood. It also occured to me that our neighbor really does like JB and I and talks with us whenever he can...but his liberal, upstairs neighbors who are suppose to be all about "peace, love and no war" he can't stand and feels slighted by. Could it be that conservative, Christian Jonathan and I could actually be a light to this very lost and very confused old man? Even though our political and religious and moral views are SO completely different?

After our long conversation I went inside to ponder this and pray for our neighbors. One thing I had hoped for in this new year of my life, is that God would give me the opportunity to reach out to more people then just my immediate friends. That He would use me to show his love to some of the very unlovlies of this world.

Anyway, just interesting what God will show you even on a simple walk around your neighborhood. Needless to say, I'm glad I decided to get out and about yesterday.

4 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Encouraging post and nice new look to your blog!

Kristen said...

Wow, amen. Yeah.

I'm glad you got a walk in on Thursday; J and I tried it on our lunch break and froze our cabooses off (I was wearing a skirt and he forgot his coat, so maybe that's why...).

See you tonight!

SES said...

great story, Missi. Thanks for sharing it =)

Anonymous said...

aw...Missi. It is so cool to see God work in your life. :) I have been thinking about you and Baby J. I'll call you soon. :) -Kara