Friday, July 24, 2009

Flaxseed, it seems to be working wonders

While I was in Hawaii last month I met this really neat gal who was currently battle cancer (or so I was told, she never actually mentioned it, aside from a story about being completely bald at one point)
She was very health food savvy and kept giving us all advice on what to eat and where to find the best food options. We got into a conversation about this, since I consider myself pretty healthy with the food choices I make. She said "honey, if I were your age the one thing I would change is I'd start adding flaxseed to my diet. If you change nothing else, that's what I would recommend you change".

I went home and looked up flaxseed, its benefits and uses. Then two days after getting back from Hawaii I started taking it. I bought a coffee grinder so that every morning (or every few days depending on how much I'd grind) I'd have a special grinder just for the flaxseed. From what I read the best way to take flaxseed was freshly ground.

I put it in morning shakes, or I sprinkle it over my cereal in the morning. If I'm making pizza dough or stir fry or anything where the flaxseed will go unnoticed (yes, even cookies) I add it. Now, I don't know if flaxseed really is the mircale worker in my life, but it seemed within a week everything about myself was feeling better.

So now, I'm pretty much sold on the super tiny seed. The best part is when you grind it and mix it in food it's pretty much tasteless, so it doesn't effect anything you are making.

If you aren't currently taking flaxseed and wish to add a healthy new option to your current diet, I would definetly recommend added flaxseed...freshly ground...to your diet. I believe it really will make a big difference. A big difference with very little effort on my part.

Now, with that in mind I'm going to finish writing up my grocery shopping list so I can make peanut butter pie on Sunday for some guests;)

3 comments:

Sarah: said...

where do you buy whole flaxseed? do you have to go to the coop?

-Sarah

p.s.- there are so many things at the healthfood store and I never know what to use them for. I think I have ground flaxseed sitting in my fridge from a recipe and will try it this week. I love your post!

Missi said...

Hey Sarah!

I bought my whole flaxseed at Walmart, I think it's in the ethnic food area.

I really think it has been making a difference and I've been able to put the ground flaxseed in at least one meal a day. Take care!

Rachelle said...

My kids wouldn't know how to eat oatmeal or cereal without flaxseed. They think it is essential. I am much too lazy to grind it everyday but I keep it ground in the fridge.